Gift Cards may be reported as either a Payment Type or a Line Item. Reporting the Gift Card is different than triggering the Gift Card Entry screen. There are benefits to using either of these two options. Once a Report As: option is selected, all of the Trigger's Enabled Actions' Report As options must be set the same way (either as Payment Types or Line Items).
Reporting the Gift Card as a Payment Type reports the sale at the time it is redeemed.
The benefits of reporting the entry as a Payment Type are:
- The sale is report later, at the time the Gift Card is redeemed.
- The Closeout Report can show and group the Gift Cards as payments.
- The Payments Report can show and group the Gift Cards as payments.
- The General Ledger can report on this payment type showing all open liabilities.
- It is easy to setup and easy to train employees how to handle Gift Cards.
Reporting the Gift Card entry as a Line Item reports the sale at the time the Gift Card is sold.
The benefits of saving the entry as a Line Item are:
- The sale is reported now, even if the Gift Card is lost or never used.
- The Inventory Sales Analysis report can be used to group the Gift Card line item sale.
- The Closeout can report this using a Department report on line items.
- The General Ledger can report on this as a departmental sale by line item.
Gift Cards - general information.
Gift Card Tokens - printing Gift Card information on invoices and receipts.
Gift Card Setup - setting up Gift Cards (in Configuration Manager).
Gift Card Entry - entering the Gift Cards and selecting the required action (in Sales Manager).
Configuration Manager Contents